Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Weekly Letter February 28, 2012

Que tal?

Well, another weeks ends and the time is just flying by. Sorry for the late letter, but we had a last minute meeting in Buenos Aires and we had to travel. To make a long story short, I got three hours of sleep on Sunday night because I can seem to sleep on the bus.

Sounds like you all had a big week. I´m glad that fun stuff is happening at home. Although not much is happening here lately. Its weird, the more time I have in the mission, the harder it is to write home, because now all those things that we amazing and out of the ordinary, are now normal and ordinary. But, we´ll see what I can tell this week...

The repairman came to our apartment the other day to do a ton of repairs that were badly needed. He spent like two days in town, the whole time in our apartment doing repairs. Now, our apartment is like new.

While he was repairing our house, I was sitting outside because my companion was sick and asleep. I noticed a red like bee that was flying around. The repair guy told me that it was an "abispa" or "wasp". He told me that it´s speciality was killing spiders. Then out of nowhere, a fairly large spider made its way out of the weeds and the wasp saw it. It climbed on top of him and starting wrestling with the spider. The repair guy was filming the whole thing. Then, the wasp stabbed it with its stinger and flew off. The spider, in a matter of 5 seconds, shrivelled up and died. No joke, five seconds. The wasp came back and started dragging it across the ground. Then it climbed up the wall, with the dead spider carcass hanging from it jaws. Note: the spider carcass was a good two times bigger than the wasp, but it carried it like it was nothing. Then, it went up into the plant and that was it for that spider. Amazing.

I have been thinking heavily about school lately (on my free time pastedGraphic.pdf), and I am still a little indecisive about joining the military. Yeah, that´s awesome that they would accept a music major, but what would I do as an officer? Would I still be able to pursue a PhD or would the army not allow me to do that? I don´t know if I would want to major in anything else, because I think it would be burying my talent. If I majored in science or something like that, I would have no time at all to play the piano. I think it would be my dream job to teach music on a professional level in a university, to students who are there for serious business, unlike a high school teacher. Or to publish as a professional artist, or both. But, I don´t know. I guess I need to pray about it. I did get permission from my mission president to research the army website to find out more. So, we´ll see what happens.

Training is going good. I love training, don´t get me wrong. But I do hope that this is my last time training. It really tough sometimes and I miss working with an experienced missionary. There are some trainers in the mission that are training for the third time. Please no... But luckily, my greenie is fairly cool. He likes to work hard, and I make sure that he can hardly walk at the end of everyday. Its good for him...haha

Gavin, thats heavy bro about your prom situation. What I would do is two things: 1) You don´t know if she accepted from this other guy or if she accepted your invite. You can´t make a mistake by asking if she had made a decision or not. What is she going to say? No? or 2) ask somebody else. Maybe Camille would be willing to go with you who knows? Good luck in your quest. Que la fuerza esté contigo (May the force be with you).

Unfortunately, I don´t have a lot of time to write today, given that it´s tuesday and we need to get back to work. I love you guys and I congratulate Paige on acquiring a job. I knew she would, it was just a matter of time. I pray for you guys nightly for your welfare, both spiritual and physical. I look forward to your letters every week, so keep them coming! Have a good week and I think about you guys always.

Con amor,



Élder Garrett Brighton Rook

Mision Argentina Buenos Aires Oeste

"La mejor mision de todo el mundo"

No comments:

Post a Comment