Monday, May 2, 2011

Weekly Letter 5/2/2011





¡Hola familia mía!
Okay, to start...some housekeeping. I did see the news that Bin Laden has been killed. That was a long time coming. I don´t say that I liked to see him dead, but the world didn´t have a place for him anymore. We just saw the end of an era with his death. Hopefully, things will start wrapping up across the pond for our American Troops. It´s interesting whats happening all around the world, and I´m here in my mission, haha but I wouldn´t be anywhere else.
Hey, I will be calling you guys on Sunday at around 3 or 4 o´clock, depending on if my comp talks first or me. But, it´ll be around that time. I´m excited to talk to all of you, although it´s been a while since I talked to you but it doesn´t seem like it. Weird haha
Thanks for putting the box together. What music did you put inside? Just curious. I do want about 3-4 copies of my CD, the mission wants it to make copies for the Elders. Use the flat rate box from the US Postal Service. It´s like up to 40 pounds international for a pretty good price. All of the Elders down here receive mail in the flat rate box. Send the box to the address you sent it to last time. I think it´s still on my facebook account. The list of music is on gavin´s email.
I´m glad that Paige had a safe trip to Arizona. And that Gavin had a kickin´ trip to Seattle. I remember my trip to Seattle. It pretty much rocked, especially Pike Street Market and the Light Show.
Alright Mom, I do not need boots. Given that it doesn´t snow down here at all and only rains, i´m not going to need any form of boot. My shoes are doing just fine right now. I have been using them since the beginning of my mission and there is hardly any wear on the bottom. They are awesome shoes, I definitely made a really good choice on those shoes. The one thing I do need is a heavy coat. We got a little sample of cold weather this morning. I woke up and could see my breath, just laying in bed in my bedroom. Given that there isn´t a house or buidling here that has insulation. We went outside and it was pretty chilly. But a humid cold. I could feel it like stratching my bones. Weird feeling. My body definitely isn´t use to it. But, I will be looking for a heavier coat this week. Elder Alkema found one for a pretty decent price today, so I think I´m going to be looking for one this week.
Our District Leader interviewed Estiven and Jorgelina this week, and they are so ready to be baptized! During Jorgelina´s interview, I was talking to Estiven about going on a mission. He was asking me what he needs to do to get ready and what he needs to study. He has already read the Book of Mormon, but I told him to never stop studying it. He wants to study Doctrine and Covenants and the New Testament as well. He´s such a stud, I don´t know what I´m going to do after he´s baptized. We´ve been looking forward to his baptism for such a long time. It´s going to be weird to find other investigators.
Yes Mom, it is true about the food here. You can´t find any form of processed foods here. Everything is all natural, bueno not natural but it´s not all loaded with salt and preservatives. The soda pop is pure sugar so it tastes better, the soups and packages noodles taste better because they´re not loaded with salt, and everything here has a strict experation date. If you buy outside of experation date, you´re getting sick. The meat here is out of this world. Argentina is the largest consumer of red meat in the world. So you could imagine the expertise in the field of barbeque and outside grilling. Mom and Dad, you need to come down here to pick me up, and I can arrange for some members to cook us some legit Asado that is absolutely to die for.
Not much to write this week I´m afraid. But, I will continue to keep you all posted on anything exciting that happens down here. Make a list of questions that you want to ask me on Sunday when I call. I am looking forward to talking to you all on Sunday and hearing your voices. Keep strong in the faith and never give up.
Your son, brother and missionary,
Elder Garrett Brighton Rook
Moreno, Buenos Aires, Argentina
P.S. Don´t send the box until after we´re done talking on the phone. Please :-)
P.S.S. I sent some pictures. One is a cockroach that we found in the apartment that we flipped over and I took a picture of. Another is a picture of Elder Alkema and i at Zone Conference. Another is a photo of our Zone with all of our blue scarves on to help us get excited for our baptism goal. Another is a huge statue of San Martin in the middle of my area. Look him up, his story is really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment