Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This week we talked on the phone!





Garrett called on Sunday for Mother's Day, and it was so good to hear his voice. He sounded so happy, and content.

He talked about how wonderful it is to be able to study the gospel everyday. He loves reading the New Testament, and said that it is an amazing book. It is amazing to me that this young boy is reading and understanding the gospel at such a young age. I guess we trained him right!

As we spoke to him, he had a hard time finding the right words in English. He kept asking his companion how do you say this in English. It's kind of funny because we spoke to his companion, and we couldn't understand him either as he had a thick accent and didn't speak much English. He is is from Argentina.

This baptism was the boy who had to wait until he was 18, and his girlfriend. His mother did not want him to be baptized but came to the service, and cried through the whole thing. Garrett said it was an amazing service and the spirit was so strong there. He said that he won't forget this one for a long time.

Garrett also told us of the hard time they have with the wards there. He said that the Bishop and first counselor are inactive, and the the second counselor runs that ward. He also talked about his friend that is in a different ward and said that his Bishop is very inactive and doesn't like the missionaries to even think about baptizing because he doesn't want the responsibility of new members. Just simply amazing that the wards are so dysfunctional there. In the ward there are 600 members and only 40-50 that come every week. If the weather is bad no one goes to church because they have to walk 5 miles on unpaved roads, and they just don't like to do it. I'm so grateful that we live here in the United States, where things are a bit more normal.

He told us that the time is going by quickly, and can hardly believe that he has been out almost 8 months. I can. Some days it feels like it goes quickly, and other days not so much.

I'm grateful that I have a son that is worthy to serve a mission. I'm grateful that he has a testimony and a willingness to serve the Lord. I know this church is true. I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with the gospel of Jesus Christ, and that I know that my family and I will be together forever.

Godspeed Garrett!


No comments:

Post a Comment