Monday, May 16, 2011





¡Hola! ¿Toda piola?
Well, I´m writing after another week in my first area, and my last week. On Monday, I get transfered...finally! I guess you could say that I was getting a little area trunky haha. Okay to start, some housekeeping...
That is really too bad about Ann and George. I do keep them in my prayers every day, that Ann will be able to handle whatever comes her way, and that George will be comfortable in his passing to the eternities. I was thinking about the act of death the other day. What a great opportunity George has: to pass out of this horrible world, and return home to his Savior, at such a young age. Yeah, it´s sad for those he´ll leave behind. But for him, it will be a marvelous homecoming.
Gavin, don´t hate your job bro. I remember some jobs that I hated (Subway, the Shoe Store), but I hated them a little less when payday came. Just keep swimming. Oh...and by the way...GET YOUR EAGLE DONE! If I did it, you have to do it. Everyday, when you get home from work, plan a little bit of your project until its done. We´re brothers, and we are both going to be Eagle Scouts. Don´t worry about going to Florida. I know its going to be hard, especially your Junior Year, and that you´re like super popular in the school as "Garrett´s Younger Brother", haha I had to throw that in there. Just keep saying your prayers and ask Heavenly Father for help. He´s there listening.
Paige, I hope you´re preparing yourself for the big flight to Alabama. Keep your head on straight and pay attention. This is when everything you learned at home comes into play. Never let anything slip by, even a lttle bit. This is when the rubber meats the road. Don´t be afraid to be yourself, but don´t let yourself get in the way either. I know that you´re a little forgetful sometimes, not to offend at all, but in this situation, that can´t happen. You have, in your charge, the well being of little children. Be on top of things at all times and then some. No pressure haha
Okay, I told you a little bit about the baptism last week. But, I´m going to expand a bit. Estiven and Jorgelina were baptized last week on the 7 of May 2011. They were definitely the baptism I will remember forever. Estiven´s Mom, who was against the Baptism the entire time, showed up. During the baptism, she started to cry, a good cry, and she was hugging her son and smiling. The spirit was so incredibly strong, it was overwhelming. I played my rendition of "Joseph Smith´s First Prayer". If that is my only baptism in my entire mission, I will be happy.
I am writing after a week of having probably the worst cold in my entire life. I was in the apartment for 3 days. During this time, I was able to finish the New Testament and start the Old Testament. The New Testament was incredible. It truly shows that our religion did in fact exist during and after the time of Christ. It shows that our church has been restored, not created. I started reading the Old Testament yesterday. I think my new favorite Bible character is Joseph, the one who was sold into Egypt by his bretheren. His story was incredible. No matter his trial, from being sold by his own flesh and blood over jealousy, the temptations of Potiphar´s wife, and being thrown in prison for two years; God was always with him, and was eventually made a ruler over Egypt. After 17 years, he faced his bretheren once again, as his brothers and his father, Israel, needed food to survive the prophesied 7-year famine. He threw Simeon in prison and demanded the appearance of Benjamin, his younger brother. After the other brothers brought Benjamin, he kept the brothers from returning to Canaan on false charges of theft from the King´s Court from the brother, Benjamin. After Judah, other brother, begged that Joseph let him go; it says that Joseph could not restrain himself, he made himself known to his bretheren and they all wept. Joseph forgave his bretheren for what they did to him 17 years before, and said that it was not they who sold Joseph, but God, as Pharoah needed help in sustaining his country during the famine that would have destroyed Egypt. I think this story is a prime example of forgiveness. How you you feel if your own siblings sold you into another country, probably knowing that they would never see you again, and were content about it? The pain that they put there father through, as he said that he would mourn until the day of his death for Joseph. What was Joseph thinking in his two years in prison? Why did they do this to me? Did he let that hate of his bretheren build, or did he forgive them already? We don´t know, but in the end, he forgave every single one. We, as Latter Day Saints, should really observe this example of Joseph. The Lord said "I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive; but of you, it is requiered to forgive all men". Let´s apply this to our daily lives and encounters with people, for to err is to be human, but to forgive is godly. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Su hijo y misionero favorito,
Elder Garrett Brighton Rook
Moreno, Buenos Aires, Argentina
P.S. Sorry if you get a late letter next week, but I´m going to be transfered and don´t know when I´ll be able to get to the internet.
P.S.S. I included two photos. One of me and Elder Alkema and the other is Paso del Rey, and area in our zone. I took it during exchanges with Elder Bush.
P.S.S.S. I found a coat that I´m going to buy this week. It won´t break the bank and it´s only about 350-400 pesos.


No comments:

Post a Comment