Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekly Letter January 23, 2012

Hola familia mia!
Well, another week passes in Argentina, humid, but dry at the same time, since we haven´t had a rain storm in a long while. Argentina is in big need of rain. Last week, the country annouced that 80% of the corn harvest was lost due to dry weather. 80% of the country´s corn harvest! Crazy! But, the thing is, nobody buys the big sprinkler systems, so that makes for a loss too. They were showing pictures on the news of cows in the middle of the fields lying dead from the heat and shortage of water. If you look something up on the internet, you´ll probably be able to find something about the mini-famine thats going on. The heat lately has been incredible. I honestly don´t know how I come home at the end of the night alive. Last summer was nothing compared to this summer. And, we still have about a month and a half left. On saturday, we had lunch with a family and we ate outside because it was too hot inside (nobody has air conditioning), but we ate under the big tree they have. I kid you not, I got sunburned sitting under the shade of the tree. The air is so hot, that nobody is safe, even in the shade.
I talked to the medical advisor about my headaches, but she just told me to drink even more water than what I´m already drinking. Although, I still get headaches. I think its because of my genes to tell you the truth. I think I´ll always have headaches. But, she did tell me to lay off a little bit on the pain meds, which I´m doing. I haven´t taken an ibuprofen in almost two weeks.
I went to Chivilcoy this week to do some interviews and the Zone Leaders had a package for me that they picked up at the mission offices when they went. I opened it and it was from Chad Reeves. He sent me an awesome tie! And a nice note for christmas to go with it. Mom, I´m going to send you a letter through email for Chad. When you get it, just send it to his email, which I will also include. I love that guy, and I hope that we can see each other again after the mish.
Yes Dad, Asado (BBQ) is way better down here. The States BBQ doesn´t even hold a candle to what is Argentine Asado. I look forward to making it for you guys when I get home. And, we are going to have an awesome party, with Thurgoods, Hathaways, and Stewie´s family too.
Dad, I am yet to get a new companion. I will get him next week when we have transfers. I think on Wednesday he´ll be rolling in to Argentina. Keep looking for a job , Dad. Something will turn up. It always does.
I kind of figured that Marisa´s Wedding would be like a high school prom. She was always kind of like that. But, I hope that you guys had fun. If I was to be in charge of the chocolate fountain, nobody would get chocolate fountain.
Mom, if you get along so well with Kim; you and her should totally hang out (for lack of a better term). I love that family. I need to write them here pretty soon. If you see them again, tell them to write me because I´ll be writing them again next week.
Gavin, buena suerte (good luck) on your state solo. If you´re going to be singing Rolling down to Rio, you´ll probably be judged by Prof. Max Mendez from NIC, since he judges that class of voice. He´s such a stud. He may remember me when he sees your last name. Who knows. Have fun with it though. Don´t be nervous and do your best. You´re going to love it.
Paige, I´m glad that your schooling is going well. Have fun at the Kroc center. I miss swimming so much.
Now from Argentina...
This week was really tough. We worked so hard, and nobody came to sacrament meeting. It was a little disappointing since we worked our butts off to get people there. But, somedays you get the bear, and other days the bear gets you. We´ll be working double this week to get people to church.
I have become an expert at making rice. I think I´ve made about 20 different varieties of rice these past couple of weeks. Eating so much rice, I´m going to get really skinny. I think my eyes are starting to squint a little bit...
While we were waiting for the bus in Chivilcoy to go back to our area, we were seated outside in the shade. We looked across the street and noticed that there were two women, relatively young, waiting for the same bus. We looked at them for a little bit and my companion made some comments on how pretty the one on the right was. The bus showed up and everybody got in line to get on the bus. The two young women got a little closer and we noticed that something was a little different about them. They got even closer and the difference was apparent. My companion felt a little embarrassed at the fact that those young women turned out to be dudes, having had extensive surgeries and alterations. Although, their facial features were unmistakable, with the low cheek bones and the cut chin. My companion swore to me that he would never make a comment about a women in the street again. Our Heavenly Father has his way to perfect his missionaries I guess. Funny story though.
Well, I´ve gotta go. I love getting your letters and I look forward to them every week. I love you guys and I hope that you have a great week. With how fast the time is passing, I´ll be seeing you before you know it.
Chau!

2 comments:

  1. Hola!!Soy la mamá del Elder Baudon. El ha compartido algunos momentos en la Mision Buenos Aires Oeste con su hijo, Elder Rook. Por ejemplo durante la cena en la casa del Pte de Mision en agosto de 2011. Mi hijo me contó que su hijo toca maravillosamente el piano y que es un gran misionero. Tambien estuvieron hace poco en Chacabuco, cuando Pte Carter fue a entrevistarlo.(hay una foto en el blog de la mision, el que esta al lado de su hijo en la bicicleta es mi hijo)
    Felicitaciones por su misionero. Comparto con Ud la alegría de ver a nuestros hijos servir al Señor! Saludos desde Córdoba Argentina. Andrea Bustos Baudon

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun seeing Elder Rook's blog. Thank you for your sweet support!

    ReplyDelete