Monday, January 31, 2011

Letter 1/31/2010

Hey Eveybody!
How are you! Its so good to hear from you every week, you can´t believe it. Although its been a good week this week, and for that I am grateful. I´m glad to start hearing good news from you guys finally! Congratulations on the happenings with Dad´s job. I hope everything works out with that, although I´m sure it will :-)
Personally, Mom, I think that you should go back and finish school. Liz is right, you spent way too much time, took too many tests, and shed too many tears for your time at school to go to the dogs. Just go back and finish! :-)
I seriously don´t want to hear another word about how bad your winter is. Why don´t you just come down here to Argentina for a week or two, then you will be first in line at the Airport to return to a winter in the states. The other day, it was 40 degrees celsius with a humidity level of 85 percent. Now, 40 degrees celsius roughly converts to 104 degrees farenheit. We are in long pants, thick shoes, and ties, carrying Book of Mormons and other miscellaneous stuff. I would give my right foot for it to be below 32 degrees right now.
Concerning your blessing with the job, God blesses us in our time of our most dire of need. Yesterday, I finished Jesus the Christ after only a two and a half week read. The book is incredible. But I noticed some things that applied to your situation. In the Bible, Jesus only performed the miracle of feeding the five thousand after Philip stated his concern that they only had four barley loaves and two fishes. But, Jesus rebuked him saying "Where is your faith?". Jesus caught Peter as the deep was about to claim him when he walked on the water toward Jesus, and was rebuked in the same manner "Oh ye of little faith, when did ye doubt?" The Brother of Jared only saw the miracle with the toaching of the 16 stones after he had thought and pondered and knew that there was nothing in his power that he could do to light the barges in their journey across the ocean. But, he had faith, knowing that God was all-powerful, and he relied on his power to bring forth a miracle. We must have faith that our Heavenly Father is able to do anything, save we have a little faith.
I am still writing Daniel weekly, and he´s doing great now. We just sent some emails back and forth and talked about it. But, now he´s doing awesome.
Concerning the situation with my comp, he just let all of the rules go. He started listening to music, not from the church, both aloud and with headphones, a big no-no. He started to sleep in and other things. So, I called my District Leader, who called the ZL´s who called the Assistants, who set an appointment for us to meet with the Mission President the next day. Turns out that my comp said that he didn´t feel like he could have a good time on his mission and follow the rules at the same time, so he wanted to go home. So, we went and met with the Mission President the next morning. He interviewed us individually first. When it was my turn, after my comp, the President said that my companion wanted to stay on his mission after talking to him. He asked if there were any problems that I had that my companion didn´t mention. Turns out that my comp had mentioned everything he had done and was completely honest. Nothing I said was unknown to the President. Then he brought us both in. He pretty much told my comp to be more obedient and told me that I should be concerned with pleasing three people in this order: The Lord, my Mission President (he said with a smile), and my companion. If your companion is disobedient, don´t be afraid of him getting mad at you just because you would feel bad if he did. He told me to keep doing what I´m doing and to follow the rules exactly. Then we left and went back to work.
Then the next couple of days followed and we started to see things happen. We started to meet better people who had a sincere interest in what we have to say. We had four investigators in church on sunday, all of which enjoyed it thouroughly. And...WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A BAPTISM NEXT SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the investigators that came to church is a friend of one of the youth in our ward. He had heard all of the lessons, but never really wanted to get Baptized until now. We are going to be talking to him this week to finalize everything and make sure that we´re all good to go. Plus, my companion and I are on way better terms now. He´s still a little stingy, but that´s how he was when I first met him, but we laugh and smile and teach great lessons. Since our interview with the President, we have seen a shift in our work, that I hope will continue until the end of this transfer.
I don´t have much else to write this week, but I will let you know how everything goes next week. I pray for you all daily, and my heart is full that you are now enjoying the blessings of heaven because of your faithfulness. Never forget to give thanks for everything you have. Well, I have to go now, but I bed thee farewell until next week. Have a good week and you´ll here from me soon. Love you all!
With Love,
Elder Garrett Brighton Rook
Misión Argentina Buenos Aires Oeste
La mejor misión en todo el mundo
"The best mission in the whole world"

No comments:

Post a Comment