Monday, January 10, 2011

Letter January 10th 2011

¡Hola! ¡Buen Día!

I hope all is well with you, and this letter finds you in good health, both of body and mind. Little Spanish tip, don´t say "Buenos Dias" for "Good Morning". The proper term is "Buen Día". When you say Buenos Dias, you sound like a gringo.
Nothing much to report this week. We asked two people to be baptized on the 29th of this month. They accepted, but they didn´t show up to church yesterday. Its not that hard to step onto a bus and go to church. I swear the excuses that people make not to do something are ridiculous. But, we tried our best, and we´re going to keep trying with them. They openly admitted that they felt something when we arrived, but they said they were too tired to some to church that morning. Ughhh...
Its been uncomfortably hot here lately. We had a morning where we had the biggest rainstorm I have ever seen! There was almost two inches of water in the streets! The temperature dropped to like 70 something degrees. But noon rolled around and the clouds dispersed. By one o´clock; there wasn´t a cloud in the sky and the sun beat down on us like nothing else. The temperature rose to about 90 something degrees with a humidity level through the roof. Hottest day of my life. Even my companion, from Colombia, was sweating.
My feet are 150% better. The completely healed after about a week. There is zero evidence that I was ever bitten. And the mosquitos that carry whats called "Dengue Fever" only bite during the day. So, I´m okay. I haven´t been sick yet. The mosquitos that carry dengue fever are big and black and nasty. But, the President´s wife told me that they haven´t had a problem with missionaries and dengue fever.
I hope you found the references interesting. Máte is everywhere! Its ridiculous. People will sit on there porch and drink máte for hours everyday. Maybe that's the reason why nobody works here. The people are so incredibly lazy. But, it makes it nice sometimes, because we can find an entire family anytime of the day in their house. When spelling "Máte" you have to be careful of where the accent is in the word (over the "a"). The infinitive verb "Matar" is "To kill". Maté, with the accent over the "e" is "I killed".
The Catholic Church of the Virgin of Luján is the dominant religion here. Supposedly, its the location where the Virgin Mary appeared after her death. But its named after a Virgin Saint of that city. People call it "La Capital de la Fe" around here (Capital of the Faith), so whenever somebody says that, we know they are referring to Luján.
Morcilla is a kind of blood sausage thats really common here. We had it on Christmas and New Years. Its really gooey like a pudding. Think of it as a combination of refried beans, ground beef, and oil. Thats what it feels like in your mouth. Not too bad.
Fútbol is the dominant sport around here. There are a lot of kids who play in the streets with there bare feet. Although I have not touched a soccer ball yet.
Asado is pretty much the best food I have ever had in my entire life. Its Argentine Barbecue. But I´m sure that Dad read the entire page about Asado and probaly searched some more about it haha. It delicious.
So, its official. I have lost a total of almost 10 pounds since being out here in Argentina. We are encouraged to drink at least 3 liters of water a day. And I´m walking almost 12 miles daily. My pants that I bought from Bass don´t fit as well as they used to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

No comments:

Post a Comment