Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekly Letter August 22nd 2011







Hola de vuelta,
Okay, writing after a busy week and a busy P-Day. I don´t have a ton of time to write, but I´ll fit in as much as possible.
It´s so nice to hear from you guys every week. I love getting your letters. Please send me some of the pictures from the mission president´s wife´s blog. We can´t go to other websites, cause its against the rules. So, I haven´t seen those pictures. Thanks for the pictures of Manito. I always loved going there. Hey, I have an idea. You guys can save for a car for me and give me the money so I can buy one in Utah after the mission haha. Don´t worry Mom, you don´t make me trunky. By the way, my shoes are just fine. I need to take them in to a zapatero to get the inside fixed, but the outside is holding up really nicely. I won´t be surprised if they last me my entire mission.
Congrats to Gavin on the apporval of his eagle project. I remember when I was doing my Eagle. Just get it done and don´t wait! By the way, check the spark plugs on the car. Maybe that´s the problem. And congrats on the job.
Sorry Paige that you can´t get out of the house to go to the institute activities. Just keep plugging along and it will work out. You look good by the way with your new hat.
So, on Tuesday, we had to go to Ramos Mejía (the mission offices) to pick up our kids. We showed up at about 4:45pm, because we were told to. The new missionaries didn´t show up until almost 7:00. So, we weren´t able to work that day, because we got back so late. In the meeting, they put all of the trainers on one side of the room and all the newbies on the other side. President got in front of everybody and started naming off trainers and their kids. I was hoping to get an american companion, because I remember how I felt as a new missionary in another country. They called my name and then my new missionary. His name is Elder Abarca, from Santiago Chile. But, the cool thing is is that he speaks fluent English. So, I don´t have to teach anybody how to speak english or spanish as a trainer. Which is nicer. He is super cool and super excited to get to work. He is a convert of a year and a half also. Before we got our kids, we had a training seminar on how to train. We are the first group of trainers in the world to implemant the church´s new missionary program for the first 12 weeks. Now, every group of new missionaries will be using this program to get up and running on their missions. It´s like he´s running my area and I´m just there to help. It´s awesome. President Carter is an amazing man. He is seriously the most spiritual being I have ever met in my life. I guess that comes with a new, fresh mission president. I was really nervous about training a new missionary for the reason that Dad brought up. That he will always remember his first companion more than the others. I remember my first companion in the field, he messed up big time, but I remember the experiences I had with him more than the others. What advice can you give me as a trainer, given that both of my parents served missions?
Me and my companion worked really hard this week and found some really good people. We are excited to finally get to work, and I´m excited to have a fresh missionary to help me in the work. We have not been able to contact the family of 6 for about 2 weeks now, but we keep trying I guess.
Sorry for the short letter, but I really have to go. So, I hope you enjoy the pictures I sent and I look forward to hearing from you next week.
Su misionero favorito,

--
Élder Garrett Brighton Rook

No comments:

Post a Comment