Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Weekly Letter 4/18/11



¡Hola!
Its so great to hear from you guys this week. My week went by so incredibly slow. I don´t know why, probably because it was first week of transfers. Yes, I have lost of weight, I have dropped about 15 kilos since I´ve been here in Argentina, 4 of those in 4 days when I got food poisoning. I am eating right. We have fruit fo breakfast like every morning and we excersize every day. Congrats on the new wheels! Hondas rock and it will last you a while. So, you´re going to be driving to Florida? Talk about a long drive. Hope the new car is a comfy ride. Thats a bummer about Daniel. Things like that happen. That happened not too long ago in one of the wards in our stake, except it was a whitewash, which means both of the elders got transfered out. Talk about a bummer day. I´ll write him when I get a chance. But, alas, it happens. And yes, there are a ton of members in Florida. Maybe if you make enough money in Florida, you can come to pick me up when the mish is over.
Another great week in Argentina to report this week. Although the week was really slow, it was good anyway. The weather now is a little bit more bearable. The temperature yesterday was about 65 degrees, with humidity, so it felt a little cooler. I´m loving it. On Wednesday, I got the opportunity to go into Capital to get my DNI, which is like a VISA. Capital is asolutley enormous. The city is so incredibly packed tight and I don´t know how people find there way around. If you´re standing in the city, it feels like its going to cave in because if feels so tight. The air in Buenos Aires is unusually fresh, because the air is constantly moving in from the sea. With all the pollution that a city puts out, you don´t notice it with all the fresh ocean air. I get to go back in June to finalize my DNI. Anyway, the highlight of my week.
We are set to have two baptisms on the 7th of May. The investigators are so golden! They are boyfriend and girfriend, and they moved apart so they could get baptized. The boy turns 18 on the 5th of May, and he asked me a question the other day. He asked, "Elder Rook, when I go to the temple in a year, do you want to come with me?", and, "How much time do I need to wait before I can turn in my papers for my mission?". His name is Steven and he absolutely loves the gospel. When we talked with his Dad to try to get his signature to be baptized (we didn´t get it, that´s why we had to wait until the 7th of May), he started to cry when he bore his testimony to his Dad. His Dad´s face didn´t change one bit. Totally stern. His Dad is a hardcore Catholic and wants nothing to do with our church. Really sad, because Catholics would make really good Mormons.
I miss driving so much. It´s killing me. But, I kinda had my fix today. Today, we went to go shopping, and we saw some other elders in our Zone. Before we went shopping, we stopped in at McDonald´s and all got Big Macs. They are actually pretty good. Then afterwards, we all went walking around in the mini mall, and found a little place that had bumper cars, and there was just enough for all 6 of us. So, we played on the bumper cars for about 4 minutes. The most fun 4 minutes of my entire week. It was nice to just let loose for a little while, even for 4 minutes. I sent you the pictures seperately.
Congrats to Gavin on the Seattle Trip. When we went to Seattle, we didn´t do so well on Lux. But, we took first in the Division, so I guess we didn´t do too bad. Gavin, welcome to the joys of working, dealing with other people. But, it´s okay, you´re learning a ton, that you´ll be able to learn on your mission later.
Oh yeah, next time you talk to Kim. Tell her to send me a letter! Haha, I haven´t heard from them in months! She´s like my second Mom! I need to hear from her!
But anyway, I´ve got to go. My time is almost up on the computer. I love you all and I will see you soon. Keep your letters coming. I pray for you all daily and I know the Lord is blessing you for your faithful service in his Gospel (even if that means Nursery) :-)
Con amor,
Elder Garrett Brighton Rook
Moreno, Buenos Aires, Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment