Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Last Leg of our Trip

We arrived in Ogden to stay with Aunt Justine and Uncle Blaine. It was a good trip, but we were so glad to get out of the car! We visited with Justine and Blaine and Melissa that evening, and enjoyed a great dinner. The next day we went to temple square and enjoyed the sites. We chatted with a Sister from Argentina. She assured me that the members would take good care of Garrett there. Dad didn't say much. He was fighting back the tears. After this Sister left, Garrett turned to us and said, "Do all the girls look like that?" She was a very pretty girl!

Salt Lake City has sure grown a lot! We took Garrett to Chuck A Rama, a favorite of his. (I think it's because he can eat as much as he wants!) From there we went to Mr. Macs to get Garrett his one last suit. The customer service at that store is amazing! The suit would be delivered to the MTC the following Monday at no charge. Great service!

The next day was the big day! We got up early and finished getting everything together and ate breakfast. Garrett was able to play the piano for the last time before entering the MTC. We had a word of prayer, and the spirit was very strong. We said our good byes, and off we went. First we had to stop at Crown Burger for a huge burger! Then we went to Provo. We spent some time on the temple grounds taking pictures and talking to some missionaries who were very friendly. For Dad and I it was an experience that we really weren't looking forward to, but Garrett was so excited that he said do you think I can check in early? We asked the parking attendant, and he said of course.

As we drove up to the MTC there were a string of missionaries all lined up to help. The spirit again was very strong! I can't even imagine the spirit that dwells in those halls. My heart was pounding as we stopped the car to let our son out. The elder that helped Garrett said, "Don't worry we will take good care of him!" I'm surprised that I didn't break down right then and there. I was saying goodbye to my son! It is such a bittersweet feeling. I know I don't want him to be anywhere else but here, but I will truly miss him. Garrett picked up his bags, and off they went. Garrett didn't look back, and his Dad said that is good. He will be a good missionary because he didn't look back. He will be a dedicated servant to the Lord! I will miss him so much. God Speed Garrett! We love you!



1 comment:

  1. So wonderful! I love reading this. Our family misses seeing Garrett around! Good work Naomi :)

    ReplyDelete